· M.A. (Fine) Sculpture. 1975.
· M.A. (Fine) Art History. 1983.
· Ph.D. 1993.
Awards and Scholarships
· Gujarat Lalit Kala award for sculpture. 1971, 1974
· National Lalit Kala – Honorable mention for sculpture. 1976.
· A. P. Council National Biennale award for sculpture. 1978.
· Brihan Maharashtra Natyaspardha, New Delhi, for best stage set design, 1984.
· Kushanku, a full length play selected for the theatre festival at Goa by of Sangeet Natak Akademi,New Delhi.
· National Scholarship -1973-75.
· UGC minor project to work on the Sculptural styles of Ellora Sculpture. 1984.
· Charles Wallace Fellowship to work at Cambridge, UK on Amaravati sculpture in the
British Museum, London.
· Some other awards for literary and critical works in Marathi.
Books, Monographs and edited volumes/ periodicals.
· Ellora an Enigma in Sculptural Styles, Books and Books, New Delhi, 1994.
· Ajanta- New Perspectives, 2 vols. (Co-Ed), Books and Books, New Delhi.1991.
· Ellora Cave Sculpture and Architecture, (Co-Ed), Books and Books, New Delhi.1988.
· Vaishnavism in Indian Art and Culture, (Co-Ed), Books and Books,
· Art and Architecture in Western India. For Project of History of Indian Science, Philosophy and Culture. New Delhi.
· Ajanta : History, Culture and Aesthetics, for PHISPC, New Delhi.
· Editor, Samvad – quarterly in Marathi.
· Editor, Nirukta- Journal of Art History & Aesthetics in English. funded by UGC/DSA.
· Editor, Sri Utpattipidugu – Inscriptions, Insignia and Indite. Monograph as Special issue of Nirukta. 2005.
· Two full length plays (Kushanku and Jogidas Khuman) and several one act plays staged. Also screen play for two TV serials.
Papers and Articles.
· More than 75 papers and articles in various journals.
· Contributed to Marathi and Gujarati Encyclopedias: Vishvakosha & Jnanagangotri.
· Number of Group shows of Sculpture held at Mumbai, Nagpur, Trivendrum, Solapur, Ahmedabad and Delhi.
· Participated in all the major exhibitions in India including National exhibition and the invitation shows like 25 years of Modern India Art and Shilpayan at National Gallery of Modern Art, Delhi.
· Sculpture in the collection of National Gallery of Modern Art, AP Council and some private collection in India, UK, USA and Australia.
· Organized exhibitions all over India for the Sculptor’s Forum of India.
Seminars and Lecture Series
Delivered series of lectures
1. Anand Coomarswamy Memorial lectures, Allahabad Museum. Allahabad on
‘Sri Utpattipidugu- the sage patron of art and his possible role in the Vedic upheaval’.
2. Madanlal Nagar chair, UP Lalitkala Akademi, Lucknow on ‘the State of Art Education in India’.
3. College of Fine Arts, Trivendrum on ‘Western and Indian Aesthetics’.
4. National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai on ‘Post Independence Bombay Sculpture’.
5. Anantacharya Institute of Indology, Mumbai on ‘Ancient and Medieval Indian Sculpture’.
6. Royal College of Art, London on ‘The Marvels of Ellora’.
7. Rajasthan Lalit Kala, Jaipur on ‘Globalization and Modern Indian Art’.
8. Indian Institute of Technology, Powai, Mumbai on (a) Purpose of Art. (b) Languages of Art. (c) Meaning of meaning.
9. National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad on ‘Indian Theories of Meaning’.
10. Karnataka Lalit Kala, Raichur / Ilkal on ‘Contemporary Criticism’.
11. Fundecao Oriente, Goa on ‘Myth, Mythology and its Manifestation in Indian Art’.
· Participated and presented papers in more than 40 national and international seminars.
· Delivered lectures for a number of academic institutes in India.
· Joint Secretary, Sculptors’ Forum of India. 1976-79.
· Member, UGC / NET committee.
· Research Guide, M.S.U. Baroda, National Museum, Delhi.
· Member, Central Lalit Kala Akademi, General Council, Delhi.
· Member, Central Lalit Kala Akademi- Publication committee, Delhi.
· Member, Central Lalit Kala Akademi Executive Council, Delhi.
· Member and Chairman, National accreditation and assessment council, Peer committee.
· Resource person, UGC refresher courses in Jaipur, Udaipur, Baroda.
· Head, Department of Art History and Aesthetics, Faculty of Fine Arts. M.S.U. Baroda.
From 1990 to 2001.
· Chairman, Board of Studies and Faculty board, Faculty of Fine Arts, Baroda, 1999 to 2005.
· Member, Jury for the Art exhibition, South Central zone, Nagpur.
· Member, Jury for the Art exhibition National Lalit Kala, Ahmedabad exhibition.
· Member, Ad hock committee to design the PG course, BHU, Varanasi.
· Convener, committee to design PG course in Art History, CAVA, Mysore.
· Chairman, Board of Studies, Banasthali Vidhyapith
· Member, Board of Studies, Jaipur.
· Member, Board of Studies, Barkatulla University, Bhopal.
· Member, Academic Council, M.S.U. Baroda.
· Secretary, Baroda Amateurs Dramatic Club.
· President, Tathagat Theatre group.
· Member of the Senate and various committees of the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda.
· Govt. Nominee, MSU syndicate.
· Coordinator, UGC / DSA program.
· I / C Head, Department of Sculpture, Faculty of Fine Arts, MSU Baroda.
· Dean, Faculty of Fine Arts, MS University of Baroda.
· Professor in Art History and Aesthetics, Faculty of Fine Arts, MSU Baroda.